Ailment: Bird mites
Remedy: Enzymes (digestive)
Digestive enzymes, types of enzymes, benefits, uses, food sources, supplements.
Question posted by Desperate in New Jersey of South Jersey, NJ, USA on 30 August 2017 at 4:15 4729
My problems started a little over 3 years ago. I had my horses at home and both horses had starlings that made nests above their light fixture in the barn. Each stall had a nest that had chicks stay there over the years. I think after reading what everyone has said perhaps it is bird mites that I have. My hair has fallen out in patches and is not growing back. Has anyone had mites and lost their hair? Mine used to be fine and straight now what’s left is curly. It's affecting my teeth. My skin has what looks like sunspots or spider veins all over it. My joints are killing me. It's hard to believe this is all from a mite or parasite of some sort. Any suggestions?
Comment posted by PB1000 of Knoxville, TN, USA on 12 August 2017 at 12:57 4706
Stay away from bird nests and keep them away from your home. Don’t even stand underneath them. They can be infested with parasitic mites that will plague you for years. Professional exterminators did not help me. Doctors either told me I was under a lot of stress and imagining the infestation or they avoided me in order to not become infected themselves.
It seems that some people do not get bitten by them, even though their home is infested with them. Those of us who do get bitten are plagued by one of humanity’s least talked about and worst parasite infections. They are worst at night. They embed themselves in bedding, cottons, downs and feathers, carpeting and upholstery.
Liquid enzymes are the only way to kill parasitic bird mites. At the time of this writing I am in my tenth month of treatment. I suffered for 2 years with bird mites until I discovered multi-purpose enzyme cleaner. It is in concentrate form and cost about $50 per 128oz bottle. It was the only thing that worked for me. I have my own spray bottles throughout the home and a running cool air vaporizer in every room filled with a diluted solution of water and at least 1/4 cup of the enzymes. Run the vaporizers 24/7 at low setting and spray the rooms at least once a day and especially every evening after dusk, and before I go to bed for the evening. Vacuum the carpets daily during this treatment.
Comment posted by Elodie of Aix, Vaucluse, France on 24 October 2016 at 21:27 4326
Has anyone tried enzyme cleaners? There are three enzyme cleaners I know of: Kleen Green, Kleen Free, and Nature's Eradicator. They are chemical free and contain purified water, natural enzyme cleaners including protease, lipase, cellulase and amylase. I bought the ready to use formula last week and have sprayed it on everything: bed, dog, my body, hair, floor everywhere and everything. Too early to say but it does give me relief. The great thing is that it is not toxic to my cats. So hard to find something natural or chemical that has some impact but is not going to leave your cats sick or worse. I'm going to buy the concentrate to use in the bath. Buying from the USA and living in France I paid more for the postage than the product! But it does have an instant calming effect. Any itch at night, keep it by the bedside spray yourself and then sleep, bliss. Am really hoping that by the time I have finished the next lot then I will have it under control, both for our dog and me. By the way, these pests do not seem to find my husband or daughter edible! - why? I rub, clean, shower and still they prefer me and my dog!
Comment posted by RusKar of Houston, Texas, USA on 20 October 2016 at 23:37 4327
Enzyme cleaners saved my sanity!! For over a year I have been dealing with invisible biting, crawling, itching somethings. Every day I cleaned the house with everything from bleach to hydrogen peroxide. Every day I vacuumed. Had extermination after extermination. I spent hours washing clothing and cleaning everything. Several doctors said it was some kind of mite but could not help any further. After trying borax, clove oil, tea tree oil, garlic, hydrogen peroxide and diatomaceous earth with varying degrees of success, I discovered enzyme cleaners and decided to try them. Within 2 weeks I notice a huge difference!! I use the solution with my steam mop. I spray it all over, let it sit for 15 minutes and then spray again and run over everything with the steam mop. My polished wood hardwood floors are shining and clean and it has not damaged my furniture. I also spray over everything - shoes, bags, bedding, everywhere. I use it in my washing machine, and pre-treat dirty clothing waiting in the laundry basket for the next wash. I also treat my car by spraying inside every day and leaving the windows a little open to air dry. I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel and things really are getting back to normal. I am going to keep up this ritual for a few more months but it looks like a permanent end is in sight.
Comment posted by Julie of Richmond, Maryland, USA on 22 September 2016 at 0:9 4328
I had invisible biting bugs for over two years. The bugs mostly targeted me but occasionally bit my husband as well. We tried steam cleaning the carpets, I vacuumed every day, and washed all our clothes and towels and bedding every couple of days but it was exhausting and didn't make much of a difference. Tea tree oil was the most successful but did not completely stop the problem. I sprinkled borax and diatomaceous earth on the carpets, floors and furniture, but it did nothing but make it hard to breathe and clog up the vacuum. Two different exterminator companies each made a couple of visits and took samples but could not find any evidence of bugs. I concluded that the bugs had to be microscopic and found the discussions here. My dermatologist confirmed the bug bites but said they didn't look like scabies. He just gave me a steroid cream for the bites. I wasn t getting proper sleep at night from the biting, and it was starting to affect my work.
When I got the enzyme cleaners I sprayed the bed, couch, carpets and washed laundry with it. I felt relief in the places I sprayed, and could feel my laundered clothes were bug free. But this relief only seemed to last for an hour or so before I would get bites again. It seemed they were everywhere or somehow able to enter the apartment again. I started to be very diligent about our bug cleaning regimen. Whenever I felt biting, I would immediately change my clothes, spray them, and put them in the laundry basket to be washed later. If I was bitten on a seat, carpet or place, I would immediately soak the area with my hand spray. Same procedure if I was bitten while in bed - change the sheet or pillow case. I sprayed our car's seats, carpets, everything. In the first three months I used six 128 oz enzyme concentrate bottles. The biting slowly decreased, and I went down to one bottle a month. After 6 months, I only needed one or two spot sprays on my clothing or skin each day.
Another thing I did was get a birds nest in the eaves removed. This may have been the source I don't know.
After nine months of using the cleaning enzymes, this nightmare is over.
Comment posted by D. Stewart of Beauly, Highland, UK on 14 January 2016 at 19:24 3829
I self-diagnosed as having demodex mites about six weeks ago. For three months my complexion had been deteriorating, with deep, never healing spots on my chin and around my nose. Prior to this outbreak, my dog had contracted some kind of mite and had a very red raw expansive rash which I treated using an enzyme dog shampoo, available online. The mites are destroyed by the enzymes in the shampoo - they weaken the shell of the mite and cause it to die. My dog's treatment took four weeks to clear it completely. However, as I mentioned before, I found myself suffering with pimples that never healed not longer after my dog was infected. I did not have a rash like him he also had several deep, infected spots, but I don't lick and chew my spots either! I contacted enzyme supplier who assured me my mites could be eradicated just as my dog's had by using this shampoo. I followed their instructions which they will give you should you buy their product, and for five weeks I have been using it and I feel there is some success! The process is very long and time consuming, entailing me washing my face six times a day with the shampoo, spraying my body and hair, spraying pillows, etc., but I now have only two very small spots. It seems that over time the shampoo dries the spots and makes it an uninhabitable place for the mites. However, unlike TTO, the shampoo does not dry out the uninfected areas, so my skin is not in a bad state at all. However, for the past week, because the spots had cleared, my regime slipped, and last night I felt for the first time in a month the crawling sensation, and a small spot has formed. So, I will be back to washing and spraying six times a day. From what I have read it is best to treat these little monsters for 90 days. They can never be totally eradicated because they live on us naturally, but when our immune systems are down they can take hold and get the better of us. I am also boosting my diet with folic acid, Vitamin D, and Chlorella. I was previously diagnosed anaemic, so I know my system was compromised. Good luck to anyone suffering and fighting these things.