Ailment: Mites (demodex mites)
Use an ordinary domestic hairdryer, blowing on the hottest setting.
Comment posted by Diogenes of Seattle, WA, USA on 9 October 2019 at 22:18 5184
Good info here. I've been dealing with some form of mites, probably scabies, for a few months. As I've been cleaning and spraying, I've reduced the potential infection sources. Recently I've begun showering with scalding water which relieves the itching for hours and is gradually reducing the outbreaks, mostly on the upper chest, neck, and waist. The heat is probably killing the eggs under the skin. I apply some healing skin cream to the scalded areas afterwards, and I do OK with this procedure.
Comment posted by David of Perth, WA, Australia on 13 March 2019 at 8:47 5128
In reply to Bethany of Macon, GA, USA:
The people commenting on using a hairdryer to treat both scabies and demodex mites don't seem to have a formula. They just use the hairdryer while it feels good and does not burn their skin.
Question posted by Bethany of Macon, GA, USA on 13 March 2019 at 3:2 5127
So, with using the hairdryer, do you just run it over your whole entire body, but for how long? I have been battling scabies for a year, trying to get rid of them because my skin itches constantly! I cannot get rid of them and have no idea how I'm getting them. The treatment cream the doctors prescribe burns my skin.
Comment posted by ItchFree of California, LA, USA on 12 November 2018 at 19:22 5099
It works. Tried everything but this works.
Comment posted by Mac of Dagupan, Pangasinan, Philippines on 18 August 2018 at 3:23 5061
Once I had an itch in my entire body, I had no towel that time so I decided to use the hair drier all over my body, the following day the itch is gone. After a year I have itch again and it won't go away for 3 months, and it is scabies. I remember to use the hair drier again and it works!
Comment posted by Hope99 of Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA on 15 March 2018 at 5:28 4959
I remove head lice for a living, and I know that high heat, dry air, alcohol (I use ethanol not isopropyl alcohol which is poisonous) and Listerine kill lice, so I figured I'd give them a try when I had scabies. The itching was relentless, so as soon as I was diagnosed, I went home and poured two big containers of amber Listerine in the bath tub. Listerine has a high alcohol content and contains essential oils that numb the itching, it's basically an antiseptic. I climbed in and used a cup and washcloth to pour it over the itchy areas and really rub it in. After that, I filled the tub up with more water and just soaked in it for as long as possible. After I used the blow dryer on highest setting to dry off. The previous commenters aren't kidding when they say it feels orgasmic. I can't even explain it. It feels like you are itching the rash deep into your skin without even touching your skin. It feels soooo good. Then I'd blow dry my skin again before bed. I also would pour pure ethanol alcohol 158 proof on a washcloth and rub the itchy parts and let air dry. I did the baths every other day for a week. I really believe that's what killed the mites so quickly. During one bath I also used table salt with the ethanol alcohol to make a slurry to really rub into the itchy rashes where the mites were. It exfoliates the skin layers so the alcohol can get deep into your skin to kill the burrowed females. Bottom line, blow dryer and Listerine and generic pure grain alcohol will kill these little suckers and give instant itch relief.
Comment posted by Carla of Knoxville , TN, USA on 23 December 2017 at 13:50 4879
I used the hairdryer and what a relief! Itching is gone!
Question posted by Itchy of Toronto, Ontario, Canada on 15 December 2017 at 23:39 4867
I am wondering which is more effective at killing demodex mites? A hairdryer, steam sauna, a dry sauna, or an infrared sauna? And also why on earth some of us are so much more hospitable to these little devils?
Comment posted by GoneWithTheWind of Delhi, Delhi, India on 18 November 2017 at 19:6 4829
Okay folks, normally I would not bother putting comments like this but this disease really did a number on my confidence and social life. So, I’m gonna share my story. It started on the sides of my waist which the doctor wrongly diagnosed as fungal infection. There were black specs on the top of them and he gave me the medication for 2 weeks. The medication somewhat helped so I stopped bothering about it but those spots start spreading and soon it was all around my waist. At last, my 4th dermatologist diagnosed me with scabies and gave me permethrin, steroid cream and ivermectin for 10 days. It relieved the itching and spots somewhat but the itching was never cured. After extensively researching on forums and websites, I came across using a hair dryer to kill the suckers. It REALLY worked! While holding the dryer on them, the sensations are truly orgasmic and after tolerating the high temperature of the dryer, the itching was completely GONE! I felt pinprick sensations the first time but that was due to the permethrin cream I used the night before. I would also recommend to NOT use steroid cream to relieve the itching because it is clearly mentioned on Wikihow that using too much of it can make the area more prone to another infestation. Just hang in there and start using hair dryer on the mites which really worked for me and the sensation from the hair dryer on the spots is absolutely mind blowing!
Comment posted by Lin Bee of Mesa, Arizona, USA on 30 August 2017 at 6:50 4730
I have been suffering from Demodex mites for over 10 years in various forms and then finally after the flu in 2016 it became an infestation with chronic blepharitis and rosacea all over my face and neck, back and even one ear. I was horrified. I bought hundreds of dollars in lotions, various items that promised cures but here after four months I am still suffering on my face.
I finally bought borax and have taken 1/8 tsp in a litre of water for a few weeks now. It seems to help with less breaking out. Sulfur really helps kill the mites and their eggs. I have just tried apple cider vinegar and my blow dryer at the hottest temperature. I pray that this will kill off the remaining mites and return my face to its previous condition.
I am a senior and the recent studies show that 95% of seniors over 70 have Demodex. I was a hospice nurse in early 2000 and was affected by an elderly man who had blepharitis and I came down with it but was not diagnosed with demodex until I diagnosed myself with it through internet research. I never went to the doctor. I did not want it in my chart. Most doctors think this doesn’t exist and anyone who complains of it are branded as paranoid of parasites. So I treated myself. This last effort with the hot 120-180 F degree hairdryer is my last ditch effort. I am grateful for this possible cure.
1 2 Next page